Sunday, June 25, 2006

Horray!! and boo.

Maybe none of you care about this, but I do.

At the Synod of the Christian Reformed Church this past week, a decision was made about the infamous 'women in office' issue. The word "male" as a description of the qualities necessary for people serving in the offices of pastor, elder, and deacon was deleted from the church order (the "constitution" of the church, if you will), meaning that those offices are officially open to qualified female members. Hooray!

However, due to pastoral concerns about alienating people who oppose women in office, women are still not allowed to be selected as delegates to Synod. So now a church could have a female pastor who can't represent classis at Synod. That doesn't make sense! Boo. I guess I understand it, the desire to keep the church together and not alienate people who disagree, so I can't complain too much. If you know me, you know how passionately I feel that this is an important biblical issue!

On to lighter things: yesterday I bought a Sigur Ros (don't know how to put in the special accents) cd. The guy I asked about it at the cd store was really excited for me. They've been recommended to me by many friends whose taste in music I trust, so I'm looking forward to appreciating their music as much as they do. So far, I like it. Lots. But perhaps I'm just biased by their hearty recommendations!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home