Wednesday, May 31, 2006

no complaining

I tell myself over and over again at work that I will tolerate no complaining. That is, I will tolerate no complaining by ME. Really, it's only 8 hours and the customers are often pleasant and at least it's better than working out in a greenhouse in the blazing hot sun. However, the temperature in the storefront of my dear Tim Horton's hovered at 92 F from 8 in the morning until 4 in the afternoon today, and that made running around serving customers slightly less enjoyable. Adding to the confusion and general unpleasantness was the fact that my manager chose TODAY of all days to train me on the drive thru. No, more accurately, to throw me into the bubbling pot of hot lava that is the drive thru and wish me luck. Ok, so it wasn't that bad. But it was stressful and harrowing at first. After the initial shock and confusion, it was just hot. Very hot. All day.

But overall I'm still enjoying work. People complain a lot at work, so I'm trying my best to keep from being a downer. Today was just frustrating because we were told that our managers didn't have the key to the thermostat and therefore it would continue to not be used during the hottest days on record for May. How is that a good thing? There are ovens and coffee makers and toasters and hot soups that all add to the heat and humidity of the outdoors entering from the frequently opened drive thru window--how is making sure the A/C is working not a priority??

So I basically vented a lot just now and disobeyed my own "no complaining" rule. Oh well. Isn't that what blogs are for?

In other news, I went to the Avondale Dairy Bar for ice cream last night with Esther and Alan Lensink and their cousin Craig who's living with them for the summer. The Avondale was (and remains!) a childhood favourite, and they make their own ice cream from the milk produced by dairy cows right on site--one can definately smell the truth of that claim when the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. The weather was beautiful at 9pm, and spending time with friends was a nice break from the ordinarily early bedtime.

I'm so very sorry if this was all a bunch of BLAH BLAH BLAH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home