Saturday, May 13, 2006

nostalgia. and fear.

Beacon Christian Secondary School. I graduated from that tiny Christian high school four years ago. I went back tonight, and my mom had to give me a guided tour because I didn't recognize where I was. They've done lots of renovations and there's lots of new faces. This year's spring musical--Seuss-ical the Musical--was wonderful, hilarious, surprisingly well done, especially for a high school of 90 students! I wanted to be up there on stage having a blast with them. I miss being in theatre productions, I miss hearing all about them from friends at Dordt, I miss going to every play and musical that I could at Dordt and hearing about the behind-the-scenes quirks.

I realized how "Americanized" I've become after living in the States for four years. I congratulated the lead in the musical (his name's Corey Van Huizen, I dated his older brother Dave for a year in high school [let's not talk about it]) afterwards, and I asked him if he was a senior. "Well, I'm in grade 12, if that's what you mean!" and he genuinely sounded confused. Oh dear.

Being at a school and seeing old friends made me miss my not-so-old friends.

I miss you guys.

Oh, in other news: I actually wore a uniform and trained in the storefront at Tim's today. Busy busy busy busy busy...

And I'm probably a carrier of the lung disease that my dad has. I'm either a carrier (1 chromosome) or I have the full-blown disease (both chromosomes--worse). Apparently Alpha-1 Antitripsin Deficiency (what Dad has) is the most undiagnosed genetic disease there is. 90-95% of people who have it aren't diagnosed. Well, my dad is diagnosed. He has both chromosomes so that means I at least have one. And he's happy that he'll be able to work for 5 or 10 more years until retirement. After that...no one knows. Somehow, it drives me crazy that he's so ok with it.

I can find out for sure what my status is through a free annonymous test so that the results won't go on my medical records. (If I do have it and it was in my medical records I would either be uninsurable or my insurance premiums would skyrocket.) I don't know if I want to know. It would feel like a death sentence or something. My dad has it, so does his sister, and my oldest sister too. I'm kind of scared.

1 Comments:

At Monday, May 15, 2006 1:08:00 PM, Blogger Rachel:) said...

sara, i am glad that you got a job at Tims. a job is alwasy good! do you enjoy it? I have a secret ambition to be a waitress some day too!:) have a good one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home