Saturday, October 21, 2006

words that bring me tears to my eyes

Dear Aunt Sara,

I hope you have a good day at school when you go. And I hope your teachers love you. And when you go to school, sit down at the right desk, okay? And when you go to school, study a lot! And when the sun rises, wake up.

That was an exact transcription of what my precocious, adorable three and a half year old niece Jocelyn thought my sister Rebecca should write in a card I received from them yesterday. I love my family! I'm sad that they're so far away, but excited to see them at Joya's wedding in TWO WEEKS!

However, I have a lot of school work to do in those two weeks. Eeeekkk...

Last night ICS had its October convocation, where the president gave his inagural address and an honorary doctorate was bestowed upon a very worthy recipient. The whole thing made me very glad to be studying at ICS. I'd been doubting how well I fit with what ICS has to offer--so much philosophy--but I think that I need to get through all this tough deep philosophy stuff before I can really have a good understanding of its APPLICATION to real life, which is where my real interest lies. I served at the wine and cheese reception afterwards, and it was such a joy to see the hall packed with ICS supporters all chatting and discussing and laughing and having a wonderful time! AND MY PARENTS CAME! They live close by, but I still don't get to see them so much, and I love them.

And I saw Syd and Evelyn, and Grandpa Hulst, and the VanderStelts, and a bunch of people from my church. For the first time in a while, I felt like I was at home in that community.

6 Comments:

At Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:21:00 PM, Blogger Bronton said...

Your parents came? That's great! And Syd and Ev! What wonderful people. You know I'm not so enthusiastic about Vander Stelt...except Sandy, who is, of course, awesome.

 
At Monday, October 23, 2006 8:30:00 PM, Blogger ann renee. said...

DEAREST SARA. xx. (I learned yesterday that xx means a kiss on each cheek).

 
At Tuesday, October 24, 2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger flurp-boink said...

SARA
I WANT TO CALL YOU....but I have house church tonight and then i have to deal with my landlords....but we'll figure it out...really.

 
At Wednesday, October 25, 2006 7:33:00 PM, Blogger Dane said...

Sara, I just got done with my exam on Dooyeweerd and I can honestly say that I'm sick of him for a while, as I am sure you are also. Now all I have left is my Challenge of Modernity exam which freaks me out even more because the texts were top damned confusing to even try and understand. Brain . . slowly . . . dying . . . . from . . . . . Philosophy!

My security word is oldgolp. Sounds like a new 7-11 drink!

 
At Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:18:00 AM, Blogger Dena said...

More news to make you happy: Carol and Diaa are now proud parents of a little girl - Maryam.

It's those times - of feeling at home, of finding community, of believing that you're working towards something more - that make all the other crap worthwhile. I hope those times continue!

 
At Monday, October 30, 2006 2:29:00 PM, Blogger Philip said...

Hey Sara! Yay for clean kitchens! It was good to see you this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home