Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Those church fathers are killing me.

On Monday I started a two week summer course. An intensive two week summer course. I don't think I knew what I was getting myself into.

History of Christian Political Thought.

Augustine, Isidore of Seville, Justinian, Aquinas, Dante, Luther, Calvin, Althusius, Locke...

These are the men (allllll men) who I am reading, constantly, in every spare moment, when I'm not actually IN class from 9am-1pm. The required readings are extensive--up to 100 pages a day, and we have class every day! I don't know how everyone else is doing it. I am behind already.

I will not have a life for the next two weeks.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:16:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Are you going to read any Tolstoy, Yoder, Hauerwas, Dorothy Day (A WOMAN!!!!!!!) Ellul, or Eller? If not, I am going to vomit.

 
At Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:11:00 PM, Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

Chris, we're doing all the guys from WAY back. WAY. Back. We're not spending much time in the last century or two...

 
At Friday, July 13, 2007 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Bronton said...

Only two weeks? You can handle that. I've seen you do it before. After you're finished, we should collaborate on a campy musical about Grotius. You write the story and I'll write the music. Be sure to include lots of ambiguously gay villains and go-go dancing scenes.

 
At Friday, July 13, 2007 3:15:00 PM, Blogger Dena said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Friday, July 13, 2007 3:16:00 PM, Blogger Dena said...

I'm loving your post title Sara. How is the reading going? Do you find it harder to read for class than if you were just reading it on your own? Unfortunately, sometimes reading things because they're assigned kind of "ruins" them for me; I'm working on getting over that. Very exciting that you saw Dave (Dr. that is)! Did you see any of "my" students as well? A bunch of them were celebrating the 4th at the CCCU headquarters.

 
At Friday, July 13, 2007 8:04:00 PM, Blogger Laurel said...

the church fathers killed us all, sara, in a way.

i am feeling sorry for you. soon, i will call you crying about all the reading i have to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home