Monday, July 02, 2007

from the other country's capital on my country's birthday

so that's not exactly accurate, since i am indeed both an american and canadian citizen.

however, i am in washington dc. for a week. yes, i am here over the independence day holiday. hooray.

it's been a great week so far--invigorating discussions about government and public policy and how we think about such things as Christians. and that's just in the fist 24 hours!

oh, and guess who i saw today? (warning: this won't mean anything to some of you.) dr. dave!! he is the director of the middle east studies program that i went on in cairo in fall 2004. he's here for the cccu directors program. what a wonderful surprise as i walked down the stairs to breakfast this morning!!

in more exciting news, i'm an aunt for the fifth time as of this morning!! my oldest sister rebecca had a baby girl, their third child, named Colette Aria. i think it's a beautiful name. but then, i'm probably slightly biased!! no pictures yet. but i'm sure she's adorable already! :)

has anyone ever read the book "searching for God knows what" by Donald Miller (the famed "blue like jazz" guy)? i just finished it and have lots of questions. it was excellently thought-provoking.

so the radio at the coffee shop where i'm accessing the internet just started playing celine dion's "my heart will go on". eee. maybe it's time to leave.

3 Comments:

At Monday, July 02, 2007 5:43:00 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I haven't even read Blue Like Jazz yet...but everyone raves about it. Good book?

 
At Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:52:00 PM, Blogger ethan said...

(this is laurel, not ethan) yes, i liked "searching" and "blue like jazz", although i read a few of anne lamott's books afterward and enjoyed them much more. we should chat about it. email me.

 
At Thursday, July 05, 2007 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Dave Van Der Laan said...

Celine Dion's music has driven a lot of people from a lot of rooms. I can't think of a popular soundtrack that's aged worse than Titanic's. Anyway, I'll have to catch up on my reading before you come to town next month. Maybe I'll even get over my distaste for post-Lewis Christian writing and thumb through Blue Like Jazz. Here's a question, though: should I read it through the lens of a Christian, a lover of good writing, or a professional jazz musician? This could be my favorite book ever . . . or I'll burn it. I don't think there's a middle ground here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home