Thursday, January 11, 2007

I'm in love!

Now that I have your attention:

I watched a new CBC sitcom on Tuesday night: Little Mosque on the Prairie.

I loved it! I was surprised that it so openly took jabs at Muslims in North America and especially at how it portrayed the ignorance of non-Muslim North Americans (in this case, particularly those living in small towns) about Islam and terrorism. It was quite hilarious, if you ask me. If you're in Canada and can get CBC, check it out next Wednesday. I think it's on at 9pm (here).

This week I had my first classes of this semester. I am much more excited about these classes than about last semesters'!! On Tuesdays I have a class called "Christianity and the Ecological Crisis", and it's a small seminar class (6 students) with all first year Master's students whom I know well and appreciate more. And we're reading Wendell Berry, Norman Wirzba, and the Brazillian ecofeminist Ivone Gebara. AND the prof has listened to us regarding our overwhelmingness (a word??) of last semester and has purposely restricted the reading to 40-50 pages per week. This is heaven!!

Wednesdays I have a class at Regis College, a Catholic college and member of TST (Toronto School of Theology). It's called "Spirituality and Culture" and it's amazing. We'll be reading about and discussing how medieval, modern, and post-modern cultures have historically and are currently impacting Christian spirituality. More great readings.

Thursdays I return to ICS for a class with the same prof as Tuesday: my advisor, Ron. This class is called "Approaches to Interreligious Dialogue". Again, a small class is intimate, and the VP of advancement, John M., is auditing the class. John's awesome. I pressured him to take the class after he expressed interest. Hooray for non-traditional students with great contributions! We'll be talking about Christian approaches to pluralism-- to other religious beliefs.

This week is off to a great start. I'm still feeling pressure to get two papers done from last semestser in two weeks (AHHH!) but at least I'm actually excited to do my assigned reading for this semester.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:19:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

what do you mean when you say that you appreciate first year Master's students "more". "More" than what or whom? More than scrambled eggs? More than me? What are you saying?

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:55:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And because of that comment about liking 1st years "more", I've decided to join the class so there's a 2nd year in there.

Actually, I'd decided to join earlier in the day. And I'll just audit. And for now I'm just committing to staying in for the Gebara. And Manufactured Landscape. But maybe I'll stay for the whole semester. I'd like to, even tho I took the same class only 18months ago (the readings are completely different).

I should join Ron's Thursday class, but I'd be afraid of talking with myself the whole time. ;)

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 11:30:00 PM, Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

You both know I have a very special place in my heart for you dear second year students. I really meant that a group of 6 first year students is less intimidating for me. We were all together in Ref Phil and Bib Found--I haven't had many classes with either of you! Don't pretend to be all offended...

 
At Friday, January 12, 2007 1:16:00 AM, Blogger jeffinanutshell said...

Oh, so the second years are ok, but what about the third? I see how it is. Because I'm SO intimidating! I wish I had a class of just Ph. D. students so I wasn't intimidated and worried that a first year might know more than I do! That is worse. It is ok for a first year student to be ignorant of something (i.e. the way to pronounce Vroom which I realized halfway through class that I had screwed up even though I met the guy last year and learned how to properly pronounce his name), but if I don't know something that I should, I look like a real idiot. I'm sure Chris will have a witty retort to the previous sentence that he won't be able to hold in, so we will see how often he checks your blog.

 
At Saturday, January 13, 2007 10:17:00 PM, Blogger Marcus said...

Sara, my niece would crush your niece.

in a cuteness contest of course.

crush.

:)

 
At Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:53:00 PM, Blogger bethnoelle said...

sara,
those classes sound AMAZING. can i borrow your text books sometime?
:)

and i heard you might be going to jon's this weekend - are you? that'd be fantastic!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home