Monday, December 25, 2006

merry christmas to all

I attended a beautiful Christmas Eve service last night (at 10:30pm) at St. Thomas Anglican church in downtown St. Catharines. The building is old and ornate, and the congregation lively and welcoming. The choir and the brass ensemble were stunning. I went with my parents and friends of theirs, none of whom have ever attended an Anglican eucharist. (I felt a little like I was introducing them to "my" treasured tradition, which was very strange since I've only really attended Anglican churches this past semester in Toronto. I had to instruct them about how to take the eucharist.) The church bells were ringing as we entered, and they followed us as we left. What a wonderful way to spend Christmas Eve.

I love being home. I love spending time with my parents. I love discussing and debating with them, learning from them, absorbing my dad's humble wisdom and my mom's firey passion.

This week, no stress about papers. No pressure to understand what I'm reading. No deadlines.

Joya and Dave are driving here as I write.

Steven and Lois and the kids are coming on the 27th.

Hurray for family homecomings! What a blessed way to celebrate Christ's birth.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 27, 2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Sometimes, there's something more holy about old traditions--such as church bells in an enormous Anglican church. Merry Christmas and happy family time!

 
At Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Kunnari said...

sounds wonderful

 

Post a Comment

<< Home