Saturday, August 26, 2006

A first time for everything

Yesterday two very unusual occurrances kept me and my co-workers laughing while making coffee at the drive-thru at Tim's.

The first was embarassing for me. We had a long line up of cars waiting to have their order taken, and the person at the window was taking a long time, ordering many bagels. The person waiting at the speaker was my former youth group leader at Jubilee (my home church), whose name is Jason Boks. By the way he talked to us, we thought he was a different guy, who comes in regularly and is dating my co-worker Kathy and whose name is Bruce. We always joke around with Bruce and yell his name in deep voices when we see him: "BRUUUUUUCE". Anyway. We did this, over the speaker, to Jason, because we thought he was Bruce. When he came to the window and I saw who it was, I was rather embarassed. I said something like "There's this guy, named Bruce, who comes in a lot and we joke around with him...sorry..." Jason just laughed. So did we--for the next ten minutes straight!

The second occurance...well, I guess that was pretty embarassing too. Or maybe just extremely unexpected. A regular customer, Jay, came by at 8am, during our busiest time. I handed him his coffee and change, and out of the blue he says, "Hey, do you want to go to the airshow with me this weekend?" [The Snowbirds are doing their annual airshow in St. Catharines this weekend--they even came through drive-thru on their break, all dressed up in their red uniforms! It was sweet.] Anyway, I'm thinking he's asking Silvana, my co-worker, who knows him outside of work and who is quite a flirt with men in drive-thru. It takes me a second to realize he's asking ME out, and I quickly say that I can't because I'm going to Toronto this weekend. (Which wasn't a lie at the time, since I was planning on it.) So he said, "Well, how about we do something another time?" And by this time I'm altogether flustered, nervous, and somewhat flattered, but I'm also increasingly aware that he's holding up other cars in the line and increasing our drive-thru times--a big deal in the FAST food business! He's looking at me as if to say, So, yeah? Do you have a phone number for me...? So I shoo him on with my hand and mumble something about, "come by another time" and he looks slightly jilted and drives away. Whew. I had no idea how to react to that situation. Wouldn't it be totally crazy to go out with some guy who only knows me as Sara with the nice smile at the Tim's drive-thru??? The whole thing was just weird.

Today I went garage saling. What fun! I bought a lampshade for a quarter and a metal pan insert with holes in it for steaming veggies for $1. I like getting deals. However, I was somewhat disappointed, because I was really looking for pots and pans, lamps, and other furniture for my future apartment. Which I get to see again tomorrow when I go to Toronto with my dad for supper! Hooray for growing up. (Sometimes.)

6 Comments:

At Monday, August 28, 2006 11:32:00 AM, Blogger ann renee. said...

Dearest Sara...Take care of T-Dot for me while I`m away:) I`m disappointed too that we didn`t get together again, BUT I`ve discovered a week at the end of October that I`m off...maybe I`ll have to make a trip up to my beloved city to hang out with my beloved friend:)
Oh!! And how do you get pictures uploaded onto a blogÉ

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 12:50:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Sara... I know how you feel. Drive through man, Kinkos girl... I really respect these people. They have guts!

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Kunnari said...

oh sara... you should have just said YES!!!

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:20:00 PM, Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

matt- he came back today and wants to give me his number. he's kind of sweet, so i'm having a hard time breaking it to him that i'm not interested! but seriously, isn't that a little iffy, to just go on a date with someone who i know NOTHING about? come on, matt :)

 
At Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:41:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

my phone card is in the mail to me as we speak. and then i can call you. i DO want to talk to you. really. but calling canada from my phone is like 60 cents a minute. i love you, but i feel i would be broke before we had any substansial conversation!

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 1:56:00 PM, Blogger ann renee. said...

I`ll give some advice you`ve probably given to me on situations like that....DON'T DO IT, SARA. But...if you do....take your mace with you, please:)
And I need your new address, Sara.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home