Saturday, July 08, 2006

Running

I hate running.

I love the feeling of having finished a run.

Does that make sense?

Since March when my dad was diagnosed with Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (see May 13 post) I have been more motivated than ever to run even though I don't particularly enjoy it. I am a genetic carrier of the disease, and the more I develop my lungs while I'm young the more lung capacity I will begin with when the disease onsets. So that's pretty strong motivation. And hopefully the more I do it and the more in shape I become, the more I'll actually enjoy it. Or at least not hate it.

I do like walking on the way back from my run, though. I run/walk down a path that used to be a set of railroad tracks, so on either side of the tracks are bushes and grass and people's backyards and gardens. Today I saw a bunch of birds apparently warning a bunny of my presence. The birds were kind of dive-bombing the cute little bunny and sqwalking loudly, and the bunny would perk up its ears once in a while to listen for me. But the bunny just kept on eating clover as I inched closer, trying not to scare it away. He/she let me get really close, too! It made me think of "This is my Father's world." I must have stood there for over 5 minutes marvelling at the little creature.

"This is my Father's world" made me think of Brian, because we both loved that song. The bunny made me think of Kevin, because he grew up with bunnies and once saw his pet bunny mauled to death by an evil dog while his teacher forbade him from rescuing it. It was a little strange to think of both of them in the same instant.

3 Comments:

At Monday, July 10, 2006 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Sara I didn't know you had a blog! How great. I know exactly what you mean about hating the moment but loving the afterwards...but fun bunnies help...

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 4:05:00 PM, Blogger Amy said...

thanks for the email. i will get back to you. this weekend, probably.

i love you...

 
At Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:25:00 PM, Blogger ns said...

running is swell, you just need to give it more time... almost everyone hates it for the first while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home